Thursday, December 15, 2011

What to do about creepy\suspicious tenant?

Backstory: I'm a new building manager who took over my current property 2 months ago. The building itself was in poor shape due to neglect and several tenant issues have already come up because the previous manager didn't require the application if people paid their deposits in cash (which he then pocketed).


So my current problem:


There is a tenant who has been behaving in a suspicious manner and I'm not sure what the best thing to do is. When he paid his rent the first month, not only did he fill out the wrong apartment number and name but he hovered in my doorway long enough to ask me if I lived alone and if I had a dog. Then walked away. I try to be plesant to my tenants and have said hello to him in the past and he's never said 2 words to be before this.


Then today when he paid rent the money order was filled out incorrectly again and he looked me over in a very uncomfortable way. Gave me a full head-to toe once over while licking his lips like I was some piece of meat.


He has women over constantly and its obvious and well known in the building that these women are hookers. I've heard him refer to himself under different names which is also suspect, as I don't think this man is who he said he was when he signed his lease. I've caught him hovering outside my apartment door on several occasions and at this point I feel threatened. Luckily, most of my friends are giant, tattooed, sasquatch-looking guys, and they're over fairly often but not all the time.


I'm wondering what the best course of action here is. He's on a month to month lease at the moment and I can just post a 'choosing not to renew your lease' notice, but i'm concerned about retaliation.|||It would depend on your state and their laws. You will have to research ways that you can get rid of this guy. I think after a lease ends, and a month to month commences..you can evict for any reason, as long as you are not evicting on the basis of race, religion, marital status, disability, etc...these are protected statuses under federal law. Kind of like, non contractual, at will employment...a person can be fired for any reason as long as it isn't because of the affore mentioned.





Once again..you may have to contact a lawyer that specializes in tenant rights or housing laws..or do the homework your self. As a property owner, you have every right to decide who rents from you, and to weed out undesirables and potentially dangerous people. If this tenant is entertaining hookers on your property...this is illegal, and you can evict him for that. But you have to prove that they are hookers.|||Put up a 'no loitering sign' or 'no admittance' sign. Good luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment