Monday, December 12, 2011

Question about my lease?

I signed a lease with my roommate, he had a real estate agent "friend" of his draw up. He is the owner of the condo that me and my bf are renting a room in, we have decided not to renew out lease, so it ends on august 31st. Here's the thing, I pay my roommate half the months rent every time I get paid. So in essence even if I get paid 3 times in a month I still pay him half. so im ahead by about $600 total. So since I had been ahead by so much there was an agreement that me and my bf wouldn't have to pay for a month and could save that money for a vacation or whatever. Now that we've decided not to renew the lease we decided not to take that month off from paying and just keep paying so that it's paid off so we have more money saved when we move out. Now that we have decided to leave in August we went to him and asked what he had as the total we owe for rent so that knew. He had come up with a significant number higher then what I came up with, and said the reason was because he "forgot" to ask for a security deposit and was keeping all the extra money ive paid for that purpose. the only thing that's in the lease about a security deposit is that the 1st months rent is due upfront which I paid the day i moved in. Nothing has been damaged. Can he legally keep this extra money just because he feels like it, when it's not in the lease?|||He can only apply the money as a security deposit if there is something in the lease saying what the amount is; but that should have been collected before you moved in, since this was not the case-no he can't keep the money as a deposit.





Also, even if he tries, security deposits are to be refunded minus normal wear and tear after move out, so you "should" get it back eventually.





In the future, if you are paying extra on anything, have them write on the reciept exactly what the funds are being used for (ie: $500 May 1 - May 31 rent, $125 towards June rent...)|||OK, so he kept the extra money in order to accumulate a security deposit. No problem, because that money must be returned to you when you move out. So, he can keep this money until the end of the lease, at which point it must be returned to you, minus any amount necessary to fix any damages you caused, or clean up any mess that you did not clean prior to moving out.





In the future, do not pay extra money. Pay what you are required to pay each month, and pay it only once per month. Your method of payment, and accouning for those payments, is pathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment