Thursday, December 15, 2011

What are my tenant rights?

I have been living in my condo since June 2010. I was not told of upcoming construction and renovations to the buildings when I moved in. I overlooked some things when I moved in and didn't make a fuss about them....some of the walls were not painted, the carpet had not been replaced and have a few stains on it, and there was a dusty/dirty mess around the laundry area.





In February 2011, the area around my building was torn up and has been a mud and dust pit since. Finally this last month (June), they started on the actual building (replacing windows, sliding glass door, siding, etc)





During these renovations, there have been multiple inconveniences....workers constantly park in our parking spots, or leave material and large pile of dirt in parking spaces. Last week we were notified that we would not be able to enter our units between 8am and 4pm....I got home after 4pm and still was not allowed to enter my unit due to fresh sticky paint/clear coat stuff that was on the stairs up to my unit. The workers have entered my unit without prior notice on some days. There is large pieces of plastic over the building, windows and the sliding glass door has been nailed shut so there is no air flow thru the unit and is a constant 90ish degrees. I let my landlord know of most these issues before I renewed my lease, and as a result he gave me a discount on my rent for the duration of the construction.





Unfortunately, 2 months into my new lease, I have some personal and work issues that have come up and must break my lease, and I am also fed up with the construction. I would expect to forfeit my deposit and pay rent until my landlord is able to find a new renter...within a reasonable amount of time.





He wants this, as well as, the difference back in the discounted rent for the last two months and any money it costs him to paint/clean/etc. The thing is, I will be leaving the unit cleaner then when I moved in.....no 'move in checklist' was filled out, even though I paid a deposit. (dumb, I know) There is no mention in my lease of what is owed if I were to "break the lease"....





Soooo....Am I screwed and have to pay anything the landlord wants at this point?|||You have the right to pay the rent. And as long as you pay until he re-rents there should be no problem.|||You are stuck and have NO grounds to void your lease. You would have to sue the landlord.


No mention of a specific amount means you pay rent till a new tenant is found|||You are screwed, sorry.|||As a property manager for a large complex, I can tell you that nailing shut any type of emergency exit (IE: window, patio door, etc...) is against any and ALL safety codes. Contact your local fire marshall and/ or code inspector immediately. Use that as the reason as to why you are wanting to terminate your lease. Best of Luck!!

No comments:

Post a Comment