Monday, December 12, 2011

How would I report my former landlord for this?

I was renting from and man who turned out to be completely inane. He wouldn't fix anything. He yelled and screamed all the time. he would come into my house, using his extra key, and terrify my wife while I was at work. So, we when we were able to.. we moved.. didn't renew.





But, I got a certified letter in the mail requesting money for damages that we didn't do. He told me that he wanted to replace the carpet and paint the walls. I told him that we hadn't requested the deposit back, and we hadn't damaged the house.. so there shouldn't be a problem with him using our deposit for any cleaning or maintenance issues that he felt necessary. He told me that he doesn't have my deposit .. that he doesn't save anyone's deposit and that he wants money to replace the carpet and walls. He told me that he would tell a judge whatever he had to.. he threatened to tell her that the carpet had maggots .. he even told me that he could fabricate pictures. He told me that because we moved to a nicer nieghborhood that he felt we had the moeny to cover the repairs he wanted to make to improve that place. He told me that he would send me to collections if I didn't meet his demands and if I took him to court he'd lie..








What do I do?





Who can I report it to that he doesn't have anyone's deposits.. surely that's not legal?





I just need some advice. I've never been in this situation before. I've never met someone this evil or dishonest. Help, please.|||Did the landlord send you the deposit and a complete statement of the damages within the statutory time? Most states have landlord tenant laws and may have 30 days (if you give them forwarding address) to send you a refund of deposit with the statement. Further, he may owe you interest on the deposit since you gave it to him up front. he may have spent it but that is his problem.





Do you have pictures or anything to show how the place looked when you moved? Do you have witnesses?





Actrually if you moved at the end of the lease, he may have a duty to have sent you your deposit within a certain period of time or may have triple damages.





You might check to see if you have a one-party or two-party rule for taping a conversation and if one party then talk to him on phone and tell him to send you the deposit as you found he is supposed to pay it and then record the threats. However, if there is a two-party rule, then you cannot tape the conversation unless he agrees to it. You could contact the police on the basis of extortion as he has tried to extort money from you. I would do that and see if they can set up something, maybe get a court order to wire tap you or him to get what he says.





Do not pay the money he asks. it doesn't matter that he doesnt' save deposits but spends it, he still owes it back. And in most states with interest.





Good luck to you.|||You didn't say where you live, but generally landlords are required to keep deposits in an interest-bearing account--and include the interest when refunding the deposit.





However, it sounds like you should just ignore this guy, or at least record his phone calls. I agree that he sounds "inane" (I think you meant insane).|||You should pray to God and tell him all about it.. then, when this guy one day dies and goes up into the sky, he'll be sent straight to Hell to roast for all eternity. Seems like a decent revenge.|||And....THIS is why you always take photos of the condition of your apartment when you move out...





But, that aside...he doesn't have to keep your deposit money unless it says so in your lease. He just has to apply it when you move out, or have funds to refund it to if it's not needed. He would have to first prove that the repairs A) go beyond normal wear and tear and that B) he's already spent the equivalent of your deposit and you oh the DIFFERENCE.





Personally, I'd just let him take me to court. If he is as "inane" (I assume you meant "insane") as you say, then a judge will make a determination who's word is true.

No comments:

Post a Comment