Thursday, December 15, 2011

My now ex-roommate won't stop harassing me for money since a tragic house fire. What to do? Please help!?

I live in a rowhome and my neighbor beside me had a house fire on Sunday, 8/7. Unfortunately her entire house was destroyed and she had not renewed her homeowners policy. I do have homeowners insurance (Allstate) and they have been extremely slow helping me offering no cash assistance up front and said an adjuster won't be out until 8/22 to look at damages. According to the restoration company (and my own gut feeling), the house is unliveable due to smoke damage. The restoration company told the insurance company walls will have to be ripped out and all contents will have to be repaired or replaced due to heavy smoke damage.





My rommate (now ex-roommate as of 8/7) rents the bedroom in the basement. There was a bedroom, full bathroom, family room and kitchenette down there. Some of the heaviest smoke damage occurred in the basement. I immediately notified him of the fire, offered to assist him with cleaning services for his clothes, and gave him $100 on the spot for the inconvenience. At that time, on 8/7, I had no idea what kind of work needed done on my home. After the restoration company came back on the night of 8/9, and notified me of the extensive work to perform, I notified my roommate he would be getting a refund for the remainder of his August rent and his security deposit. I asked for him to give me until the morning of 8/11 to get him the exact number and to meet on Friday 8/12 with the money.





Well my roommate has been harassing me nonstop. I mean, 10 phone calls in 15 minutes during a business meeting I had along with some text messages. I have gone over with him the situation...my family (fiancee, 3 dogs, and my 3 year old) lost everything and currently have nothing and no family to stay with. I told him that is why I asked him to wait until the end of the week to work with me because this week has been very chaotic with the insurance company, deciding to use a public adjuster or not, and the restoration company. He says okay, but then he keeps calling and texting and won't leave me alone. I finally explained it is harassment, stop calling and texting me. I finally lost it on the phone this morning. I basically said if he wants to be ignorant and not understand where I'm coming from, then I will be ignorant and not understand where he is coming from. After explaining numerous times the game plan for the week, he just won't stop calling at this point. I told him if he keeps pursuing me I will call the cops, if he comes to the house the cops will be called (even though I offered to help w/ the cleaning of his items, he declined and moved them out last night).





What do I do? I mean, isn't my timeframe of less than a week since the fire reasonable? Afterall, he has family throughout the city to stay with and I gave him $100 up front. That's all I had on me. My family is struggling because we had to buy everything over (from food to clothes to toothbrushes to dog food to everything). He says he doesn't care about my situation, he only cares about his money. What to do??? He had a month to month room rental agreement.|||Tell him to f**k off, that's what you do. Ignore phone calls and texts.





You don't owe him anythign for his stuff, that's what renter's insurance is for (and it was stated in the lease). So all you owe him is the prorated rent an deposit.|||Turn off your phone and let him wait until Friday.You are not being unreasonable and he cannot be that desperate for money if he wasn't expecting to be moving.As you have said,he can stay with family so he does not need money for a hotel or such.


Call the police if he keeps harassing you.|||shoot her !!!!!!!!|||WELL, today is the day you gave, so what are you asking us? Pay him and get him out of your life.



Most states give LLs 30 days after a tenant vacates to return security deposit, and this situation should be no different. Did you have a written lease with tenant? If so, that controls.



Yes, your life and that of your tenant have been totally disrupted, through no fault of yours or his. But while he is not handling it well, you extending this is not helping you deal with your own problems and work. And why didn't you just block his calls, turn off the cell, etc.?

No comments:

Post a Comment