Thursday, December 15, 2011

Suing my Landlord for problems of two years...?

I have had the same landlord for the past two years of college as he is the primary landlord at my college in PA. I have had a few problems with him throughout my time here. 1) last year at the end of the semester, we were told we were to move out 14 days before our lease was up(i renewed a lease with him but to a different building) in order for a cleaning crew to come in. I told them i was unable to do it until a week after they had told me. When i went to pick up my things, all of my electronics were gone(computer, TV,DVDs) yet my bed desk and book case remained. I let them know and they never responded back to this. 2)The rent i signed the lease for is not what im currently paying. Its a modest 10 increase per month but still not what i signed for. 3)He does not give us 24 hour notice of him showing up to our place. Is any of this possible for me to bring him to small claims court? I also fear that I will not get my deposit back as well at the end of this year for "various" upkeeps that he will want to do. thanks for any kind of help|||Your landlord violated several laws. I don't quite understand how they can move you out as you put it for cleaning, and even if they can they cannot remove your belongs without a court order and the presence of a sheriff. A landlord cannot raise your rent if your on a lease. This landlord is the kind that gives us a bad name, take his a** to court.|||I think you have a case against him... get a lawyers opinion......|||You really need to go to an attorney as things are very technical here .





I'd say you have a case probly larger than what Small Claims handles .





Also; MOVE ! There has got to be apartments elsewhere in your town that are NOT owned by this character ...





Go on Roommates.com and Craigslist.com and check out Roommates and / or apartments ....





EDIT: I'm STILL a landlord . I keep all of my leases and tenant's files for five Years .. and even then; I box them up for safe keeping , just in case .... However; i do believe that most landlords keep leases for three years or so ...





Make sure you have a GOOD LEASE ....





Best of Luck !|||When you sign a lease to rent an apt., home etc., then that place becomes your home...you are paying to live there. Of course you must follow any specifics that you agreed to in the signing and on paper, but so must he, and if things where not specifically stated then there are laws that vary by state that he, (Landlord), must follow. In Texas I would have already had him in court. Many lawyers will give you a free consultation...just check the yellow pages. God Bless You and Good Luck|||All your stuff was stolen a year ago and you didn't file a police report and press charges? Are you sure you are a college-educated person?





If you still had a lease in place (whether he told you he wanted you out early or not) the place was YOURS. I ask AGAIN... Did you file police report? Did you file a claim with his insurance company listing all the missing items and their cost?





I take it you didn't keep a copy of the lease and are depending on him to provide the eveidence to use against him? Are you SURE you are a college-educated person?|||It sounds like you have a case, but everything depends on what you have in writing. Do you have a copy of the lease showing its expiration date? Do you have something in writing from him requesting access early to clean? Do you have a written assessment of what was missing and its monetary value? Did you surrender the keys or in any way indicate that he had possession and could enter at will to clean?





If he is charging you above what is in your current lease then that is illegal. However if you have been paying it for a few months then that may imply your consent of the increase so you may not be able to get that back.





With him not providing notice, you need to give him a written request demanding 24 hours notice before he enters. However if you make a repair request, that implies consent and no further notice may be required.





You cannot address the security deposit until you have moved out. He cannot charge for wear and tear. Take photos and document the condition of the unit when you move out, so you can dispute charges if you feel that you need to. He has 30 days to return your deposit after you move out. Make sure you give proper notice as required by your lease, in writing.





If you intend to sue make sure you are very specific in what you are asking for. In actual damages all that I see is the value of whatever items were removed, that is what you would sue for, and possibly the overpayments on the rent.

No comments:

Post a Comment