Monday, December 12, 2011

Can't pay my rent/sublet....?

so- i'm flat broke. the job market is very tight, i'm a student and my lease is up for renewal on august 1st, i couldn't find a job this summer so i have no money to pay for rent for august. so, i have been looking for another place to live and into subletting. i have replied to numerous ads looking for roommates within my price range that fit my needs, absolutely no one has gotten back to me and i am putting effort into my e-mails. so i am looking into subletting as i got a few promising responses to my ad. i am showing it tomorrow. the only problem is that my current lease doesn't allow subletting. and my landlord has taken FOREVER to get me a new lease for august. i still don't have it. and within three days, a lease can be voided. i don't want to ask to sublet before he gets me a lease and have him not want to renew and asking RIGHT before the end of the month looks really bad and he may then have the right to void my lease. whereas i feel i would be better off to just pay my rent late, like two weeks late and stay here, as i have done so before and going through the eviction process is just too time consuming and a waste of money so i know he wouldn't do it. however, i'd like to have rent in on time, and save the money for august - aka subletting. i previously didn't think it would be a problem. but my landlords daughters, husband who does the maintanience has been here at lease twice a week, whereas i have lived her in two years, i was lucky if i saw him who is the only one who ever comes by, twice a year. now he's here all the sudden doing work in the yard so i don't want to get caught illegally subletting. my other option is asking if he is willing to let me use my security deposit as my rent for the month, and pay him back the money + interest in september when my financial aid comes in.





what do you think is my best bet?|||You already stated it is against your lease to sublet.


You will be caught.


Move.|||If you can not afford the place then why not just move out. No need to sub let anything.|||It is a little unclear why you would sublet a place where your lease is already expiring. Are you subletting just for a month?


Do you mean that you are looking for a roommate to share the expenses? If that is what you mean your lease should tell you whether you can or cannot do that.


If I had this situation I would ask the landlord to allow me to pay when the student loans come in. However, how can you not find any work at all? You need to be dressing nicely and going from grocery store to grocery store applying for jobs and being polite to everyone you meet. You could clean houses, babysit children, cut lawns, clear brush - anything!


Do you have any skills that are of use to the landlord? maybe you could do some maintenance on the property in exchange for late payment.


Maybe the landlord is fixing things up because he is not renewing your lease and intends to sell the place.


ETA: Usually your new lease is provided to you well before the expiration of the prior lease. Is there any reason this landlord would not want to renew your lease already?|||The economy is bad and landlords need money too. If you are honest with your landlord, you can probably work something out. Don't wait until the last minute. Explain your situation now and see what options your landlord is ok with. Most likely, waiting the 2 weeks won't be a big deal and you can stop stressing.





You're probably seeing the son-in-law more now because he's working off some debt. Times are rough!

No comments:

Post a Comment