Monday, December 12, 2011

Do you have to pay rent when your landlord gives you three months to get out?

My landlord did not renew my lease which ended May 31th of this year; and has given me and my family until the end of August to find a new place to live. I don't why she did not want to renew my lease, but I'm kind of happy she didn't. My rent was $900 a month under the least, I do not know if I just became a month to month tenant until I find another apartment. Plus with the rent being so high in New York City I know I will not be able to pay her any rent she asks for and put out the necessary monies it would take me to get out by the required time. I do not want to loose my security deposit, or have her trash my name with other landlords if I do not pay her for the months we stay; hurting my chances to find another apartment. I don't know what to do.|||Of course you pay rent. You are still renting. She is not obligated to support you.





She will do worse then just trash your name, she will sue you for breech of contract, and win. You will owe rent and legal fees, plus have an nice eviction on your credit report.|||Yes, you must continue to pay rent as long as you live there. All that's happened is that you've been advised to find a different apartment, and allowed to stay on for up to three months while you do so. I would bet that your present lease converted to a month-to-month when your landlord told you to move within 90 days. And don't forget to provide 30 day notice to the landlord before leaving.|||Deep down are you sure you don't know why your landlord wants you out? Surely something has happened, or is happening and this person wants you to get out. Start looking immediately for another place. In the meantime, you do have to pay rent, or she can take possession of your furniture, etc., to satisfy the debt. Leave ASAP and try to leave on good terms so you won't get trashed by the landlord.|||This page might be able to help:


http://www.oag.state.ny.us/realestate/te鈥?/a>





scroll down under the letter.





Definitely don't do anything rash until you know your rights!!


Remember that your landlord might be able to take you to court if you withhold rent.|||Is this a joke? Of course you need to pay rent if you are living there. Why would you think otherwise? It is not the landlords problem that you do not have cash reserves for another apartment. Pay your rent or face the consequences of a eviction on your rental record as well as your credit report.|||You owe for any months that you stay, but since you have been given notice to move, move out before the three months are over. She was nice to give you a 3 month warning, you usually only get 30 days notice|||Yes you need to pay rent. The landlord reserves the right now to allow you to renew a lease if they choose so. Sucks, but that's the way it is.|||Yes you should pay your rent through August. And before you leave, photograph everything in the apartment and have a witness to it.|||If you've already paid first and last, then you don't pay for August. But, you have to pay for all other months.|||Why would you not have to pay rent? You can't live there for free the rest of the time. Pay your rent until you move out.|||Since your contract is up you are now 'month to month'.


If you don't pay rent you could be evicted.|||Of course you have to pay rent still.|||As far as I know, you are required to pay rent until you leave.|||Of course you do.|||lol of course you have to pay!|||yes|||Why would you think you don't have to pay rent? Of course this will affect your credit if you don't pay the money -- which you promised to pay in the contract -- the lease. Your lease does not end when you go month-to-month, it is extended.





It is her property, she owns it, she can take it back if she wants to. Your future security deposit is not her problem.





She will send you to a collection agency if you don't pay, and you will have to pay it eventually with the mark on your credit and a bad reference to future landlords. She could also take you to small claims court, which would mean a day off of work and a judgement to pay.





It sounds as if you need to get an additional job in order to make some money. Three months is a generous amount of time, she could have given you 30 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment