Thursday, December 8, 2011

How does this sound to you? 30 Day notice to tenant?

I have roommate that for 3 months of the end of a 6 month lease as roommates... the said person has stated on multiple occasions her concerns with whether I was going to renew her 6 month term. In the last month the person has changed her mind 4 times on our agreement to renew with different caveats each time (no 6 month, wanted a year, then wanted only month to month, then wanted to move out, then wanted to stay and sign for a year, then decided a few days before renewal to leave with stating a 30 day notice will be given when she pays rent for the last time). Whew! What I have done is gone ahead and given the person 30 days notice, to put an end to the BS and so she understands there is no alternatives left but to move out by the end of August. I have done everything by the book with my lease, but I gave her the notice so that I can move on and start looking than to wait and see what happens and deal with more drama. I feel I had every right to do this - enough is enough.... By the way - her reason for moving is the ducks that roam our neighborhood visit door to door - I give them water and food and so do the neighbors all over the place... She knew this on the day she came to look and I let her move in same day. Also gave her 2/3 reduction in the normal deposit and did not prorate her move in and reduced the rent from the last tenant.|||It depends on what your lease states she must do but mine says you must give written notice 30 days before leaving at the end of a year lease. That's so I'm not sitting there waiting to see if people are staying or not. The tenant has to give notice the first of the month, the month before the lease ends. No matter what is said up until that time matters. As a landlord if I am not renewing their lease, I do the same as a courtesy. . .but you have until that day to finally make up your mind. If you're tired of the crap, just don't renew. The wishy washy ones have something else they really want to be doing but it hasn't come through so they pull all that cr@p. I just don't renew when it starts.|||How does it sound? It sounds like you want to get rid of the tenant. Why make her sign a new lease anyway? If she competes the first term, let her go month to month, and she can give you a 30 day notice when she wants to move. The more turnover you have as a landlord, the more it costs, so I would be trying to minimize that as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment