Monday, December 12, 2011

How would I report my former landlord for this?

I was renting from and man who turned out to be completely inane. He wouldn't fix anything. He yelled and screamed all the time. he would come into my house, using his extra key, and terrify my wife while I was at work. So, we when we were able to.. we moved.. didn't renew.





But, I got a certified letter in the mail requesting money for damages that we didn't do. He told me that he wanted to replace the carpet and paint the walls. I told him that we hadn't requested the deposit back, and we hadn't damaged the house.. so there shouldn't be a problem with him using our deposit for any cleaning or maintenance issues that he felt necessary. He told me that he doesn't have my deposit .. that he doesn't save anyone's deposit and that he wants money to replace the carpet and walls. He told me that he would tell a judge whatever he had to.. he threatened to tell her that the carpet had maggots .. he even told me that he could fabricate pictures. He told me that because we moved to a nicer nieghborhood that he felt we had the moeny to cover the repairs he wanted to make to improve that place. He told me that he would send me to collections if I didn't meet his demands and if I took him to court he'd lie..








What do I do?





Who can I report it to that he doesn't have anyone's deposits.. surely that's not legal?





I just need some advice. I've never been in this situation before. I've never met someone this evil or dishonest. Help, please.|||Some jurisdictions require him to put the deposit into a segregated interest-bearing account. Most do not. He "has" your deposit because it's in the paperwork of the lease. It doesn't matter if he put it into an envelop or a bank account or not, the receipts you have show it was paid.


He can't simply send you to collections until he gets a court judgement. If he tries it simply sue him.


If he alleges damages in court, all you have to do is show the photos you took of the place after your stuff was moved out, showing how clean you left it. Wear and tear on carpets and walls cannot be charged to you, only actual physical damages.


In any case, NEVER move into an apartment without doing a written inspection report listing the condition of each room, doors, windows, paint, etc. You do a parallel comparision report when you move out.|||There is no one to report him to as he hasn't done anything illegal, maybe unethical but not illegal. If he takes you to small claims you need to show up and defend yourself the best you can. Take copies of all written or recorded communications, photos, witnesses etc.|||Call a Lawyer


Or deal with it your self


IDK

No comments:

Post a Comment