Thursday, December 8, 2011

Breaking my apartment lease in Austin, Texas?

My landlord sent me a letter on 2/18 saying it was time to renew my lease that was over on 3/31. I went and found a new apartment and paid the new deposit. A few days later (within the 30 day mark) I had the landlord sign and date a letter that stated that I was moving out. When I returned home that day, there was a letter on my door that said my signed lease was not up until June 2009. I have paperwork that has the assistant managers initials next to the move out date termination paperwork and the general managers signature on my intent to move. Yet, they will not agree to the move out date because of the signed lease contract; they want to have me sublease the apartment (making me liable for the new tenant I presume). Do I have any problems with this situation?|||Is it a he says, she says case here? What is the actual expiration date on your lease? If it is 3/31, then notify them you are moving out the end of March. If it is in June, then you're responsible for paying rent until June. It's either you made a mistake or they made a mistake. Talk to the manager to find a solution.|||You are contradicting your self here. You say your lease is up 3/31, but that they say it is not up till June. What does your lease say? If the lease is not up till June it does not matter when you gave 30 days notice or who signed the paperwork because you are breaking your lease.





If your lease is not actually up till June, then they have the law on their side. They can legally hold you to your lease.

No comments:

Post a Comment