Thursday, December 15, 2011

Am I responsible for damages if not on the lease..please answer?

Here's the situation, myself and 2 of my friends moved in with our friend who was renewing her lease. We needed a place to stay until we found a house and she needed roommates because all 3 of her roommates moved out. The girl that previously lived there is the only one that signed the lease..her name is only one on the lease even though the rest of us having been living in other 3 rooms. we all paid rent on time and everything so there hasnt been any problems, we found a place we want to move in so myself and my two friends are now moving out. we have found people to take over our "spots" on the lease. The problem is my chihuahua did some damage to the carpet. we all paid our share of the security deposit when we moved in and are forfeiting it to move out. since i am not on the lease i know the landlord cannot come after me for damages. I paid the $1000 security deposit which should cover any carpet damages but my roommate and her dad want to bring someone in to repair the carpet now (the lease isn't up until may 2010) and make me pay out of pocket for the repair, before the landlord has even assessed the damages and deducted from the deposit. can they legally make me liable for the costs? Since I never signed the lease can she later sue me for the damages if they exceed that of the security deposit?|||The landlord is going to charge the person on the lease for the damage. She can turn around and sue you to cover that, since it is your dog that did the damage. This is all part of being a responsible pet owner. You need to pay for the damage that your dog did.|||Whether your name is on the lease or not has nothing to do with it. If your friend and her dad sue you for the damage, you may be liable for any costs exceeding your $1000 deposit. They can sue you whether your name was on the lease or not. The landlord can not do anything because your name was not on the lease. Only the girl and her father.

No comments:

Post a Comment